Saturday, October 1, 2011

Vegan MoFo #1: Maple Pear Spice Cookies


Yay, Vegan Month Of Food is here! Portland is overcast, chilly, and Autumnal feeling so I thought I'd share a sweet treat, warm from the dehydrator.  I also just happened to pick up some beautiful, local, organic pears yesterday that are ripe and juicy and ready to be used.  You'll need a food processor and a dehydrator for this recipe.

First, make the cookie dough:

1 cup cashews
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Blend in food processor until completely combined and forms into a ball.  Scoop by the tablespoon onto a teflex dehydrator tray.  Form into round balls then use your fingers to make a well in the center of each cookie.  Moisten your fingers with cold water to help keep the dough from sticking to you.



Then the pear filling:

1 cup finely diced pear
3 tablespoons maple syrup
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of sea salt

Fill each cookie with about 3/4 tablespoon pear filling. 


Dehydrate overnight.  I set my dehydrator at 115 degrees and took them out after about 20 hours.  They're delicious warm from the dehydrator or will store well in an airtight container for a few days.  My boyfriend says they're perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast. 


I think they're a perfect way to start the first weekend of October.  Have a great Saturday!

21 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous blog post! I found you through MoFo and am so happy to be reading you. I cannot wait to try these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JL, I'm happy you left a comment because it led me to your amazing blog! Happy MoFo-ing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am so excited for VeganMoFo - and the pear cookies look absolutely delicious (not to mention, beautiful).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I have to try making these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a tasty 'n awesome way to start off October AND Vegan MoFo! your maple-pear spiced cookies look crazy awesome and i cannot wait to get some more raw walnuts and make them happen! mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know if you do. I only have one taste tester here (besides me) and he's a little biased :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, these look delicious! Great way to start MoFo! Can't wait to see what else you have for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! Just visited your blog and saw your awesome ABC's. I left a comment there with some of my faves from your list. Naughty faves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy how much the pear "cooks" down! These look awesome. MoFo is a crazy time but I feel like I'm going to be bookmarking a lot of your recipes this month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barefoot_and_frolickingOctober 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM

    these look 'rawmazing' - great recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's almost like traditional pie filling when it's done. MoFo is super crazy. I wish I could read every blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. pretty, tasty sounding, and seasonal! happy mofo and world vegetarian day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you both found each other! You both are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness delicious! Those look so amazing. Those would indeed be a perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. these look amazing and i bet they created a wonderful aroma in the dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Nikki, I tried these! I had to use a friend's dehydrator since I still haven't bought one yet, but I made these last night and I can honestly say that they were the best cookie I have made in a while!

    The pear filling came out really tasty with the cinnamon and wasn't overly sweet. The cookie was great too. Walnuts are kind of buttery and cashews have a pie-crusty flavour to me, which seemed perfect for the base because it made the cookies taste almost like mini pear pies. I'm not sure if you are familiar with these, but they also reminded me of jam tarts, which used to be my favourite treat while I lived in England.

    Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just wanted you to know that I loved them! I took a photograph but I haven't finished up my roll of film yet so I can't develop it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for letting me know! I'm so happy that you like the recipe. I was really pleased with the way the filling came out after dehydrating, almost like a little pie :)

    ReplyDelete