Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vegan MoFo #18: Chocolate Coconut Buckwheatie Cookies

Today's treat was inspired by the container of Buckwheaties I have in the pantry and the no-bake cookies my family loves to make.  Are you familiar with them?  The ones with oats, chocolate, and peanut butter?  My Chocolate Coconut Buckwheatie Cookies didn't turn out much like the good old no-bakes, but they're chocolatey and chewy with a nice little crunch from the Buckwheaties.


Chocolate Coconut Buckwheatie Cookies

1 cup almond butter
1/4 cup maple syrup, date syrup or agave
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water

Stir together the above ingredients in a mixing bowl then add:

1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup Buckwheaties


Shape tablespoonfuls into cookie-shaped rounds.  These can either be chilled for a few hours or warmed up in the dehydrator for a few hours.  I prefer to dehydrate them because they become less sticky and I like my cookies warm. 


Today I'm going on a fruit & pumpkin gathering adventure!  Heirloom apples, pear wine, fresh pressed apple cider, petting cute animals and a corn maze may also involved.  Have you had any fun Fall adventures this year?

10 comments:

  1. I haven't ever tried buckwheaties but these look lovely! Chocolate and coconut is one of my favourite combinations for sweet treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a beautiful treat! They sound delicious, and yet ANOTHER reason I need a dehydrator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so rich and chocolatey! Mmm! My kind of treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so. delicious. I reaaaally wish I had one right about now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the taste of buckwheat, and chocolate of course is always acceptable. Have you had the chocolate vega bars? I tried one yesterday and it was really good; I imagine them tasting like these.
    Do you need to dehydrate buckwheat? Or can you just soak it and eat it like oat groats?
    I have been seriously, sadly lacking in autumnal fun this year but tomorrow is a pumpkin party AND a vegan pop up shop in the same area - I'm hoping to find some fun seasonal treats there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had the vega bars, but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I'm not sure about the buckwheat, I've only had it dehydrated. It's really starchy, so I'm not sure how it would taste. Maybe you should try and let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another one to pin! the cookies look fab!
    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete