Sunday, October 23, 2011

Vegan MoFo #19: Pumpkin Seed Nori Snax

I've been trying to keep more raw vegan snacks around the house lately.   The dehydrator seems to be a constant buzz in the background, which is good.  It keeps the house smelling nice and our bellies full of nutritious food.  This week, after I made the usual flax crackers and cookies I decided to try something different.  I've seen many of my blog-friends make these, but since I'm not a huge fan of the taste of nori I haven't made them until now.  My boyfriend is very fond of nori and he totally approves of these Pumpkin Seed Nori Snax.


Pumpkin Seed Nori Snax

6 sheets raw nori
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 green onion
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3/4 cup water

Blend all ingredients except the nori sheets until smooth. 


Spread about 1/2 cup of the pumpkin seed mixture on 3 of the nori sheets.  I got creative so I could fit more on one dehydrator tray and did 1 and a half. 


Top with a second sheet of nori (or fold in half like the one on the right).  Dehydrate for 3-4 hours then cut into squares (whatever size you'd like your snax to be).  Continue to dehydrate for another 20 hours.


We took these on a road trip and they were a great portable snack.  I even ate a few.  They'll definitely be packed into lunches this week if there are any left after today.  

Hope you've had a nice weekend.  I'll be posting about the apples I picked up at a local farm and what I made with them this week.  And about the adorable alpacas I got to meet.  It's been a very Fall inspired weekend and that makes me very happy.

8 comments:

  1. oh i bet they're great! i've made and loved carmi's sunflower seed version. your recipe sounds extra yummy. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I just got my dehydrator out for cookies, going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the sound of our dehydrator running because it means awesomenesses are being created. we always have tons of untoasted nori in the house and i love anything with raw pumpkin seeds. cannot wait to give there a whirl. they sound fantastical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious - e-gawds! Why don't I have a dehydrator!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try this one as my kids love Nori! And this being nut free, can be taken to school! Can you tell me where you find Chipolte powder and liquid smoke? I haven't had any luck yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am a fan of nori, as well as pumpkin seeds...I guess this is similar to raw nori rolls but I've never seen them dehydrated like this. Very interesting, and they look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, we made snacks like this at Living Light! They're ridiculously tasty, especially since I tend to come down on the side of "yay nori". :)

    ReplyDelete