Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vegan MoFo #8: Raw Vegan Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies & Baked Pumpkin Chocolate Dipped Cupcakes

Happy Saturday! For MoFo 2011 I promised a raw vegan Fall inspired food treat every day in October, and I'm sticking with that plan.  However, I made a baked sweet for a party tonight and I'm going to share that one too!  First let's take a look at our raw vegan item for today, mini chocolate chip cookies. 





Mmm, cozy comfort food.  As with all of my cookies, I like to serve these warm from the dehydrator.  Here's the recipe:

Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup cashews
1 cup pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until combined.  This is a stiffer dough, so you may need to scrape and pulse for a while until the nut chunks are blended together.  Transfer the dough to a bowl. 

Add:  1/4 cup cacao nibs

Mix into the dough.  Using your hands does the trick!  Scoop by tablespoons onto a teflex dehydrator sheet and shape into cookies.  Dehydrate for a few hours until warm.  Enjoy with a cup of tea or almond milk. 

And now for the baked part.  If you don't want to be tempted by unhealthy vegan baked sweet treats you should STOP HERE.  :)

I'm going to a family dinner get together tonight and was assigned to bring dessert.  My favorite!  The crowd I'm eating with would be totally ok with a raw dessert, but I've had my eye on these cupcakes for a while and decided to go with baking.  I think everyone's going to enjoy these:


This recipe came from my favorite vegan cupcake cookbook, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.  I made the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes and left out the chocolate chips because someone eating tonight doesn't like chocolate chips in their pumpkin.  It's ok though, I made up for that omission later.  The pumpkin cupcakes are topped with a vegan pumpkin cream cheese frosting.  Here's where I got to add some chocolate:  I dipped the cupcakes (childhood Dairy Queen memories, anyone?) in a vegan chocolate ganache spiced up with a little cinnamon and cayenne pepper.  I thought the spices would be a nice aftertaste in contrast to the sweet pumpkin frosting. 

Here's to a double-treat Saturday!  Hope your weekend is off to a sweet start :)

9 comments:

  1. wow! I think I like double-treat Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raw cookies and pumpkin cupcakes! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They BOTH look awesome. The cupcake dip is brilliant! Love the added spices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both desserts look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made these same cupcakes on friday, also omitting the chocolate chips. i topped mine with a maple buttercream, but i love your addition of the chocolate dip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds amazing! I thought about maple too when I was baking these. Our taste buds are totally on the same page :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm both sound good and able to de-chocolatize if possible. sily me can't do chocolate now. curses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! Both of these look great! I've been wanting to try the pumpkin cupcake recipe from VCTOTW and I love your chocolate ganache addition! Looks beautiful and I'm sure they are super yummy!

    ReplyDelete