Sunday, October 9, 2011

Vegan MoFo #9: Raw Vegan Creamy Tomato Bisque


Slooooow Sunday.  I took the morning off (from being busy) and spent some time hanging out with my main squeeze.  It's overcast and chilly here and I'm completely smitten with Fall.  When I finally made it into the kitchen I was looking all over for inspiration.  Nothing seemed quite right.  Everything seemed too cold.  Then I thought about soup.  Warm, delicious, comforting soup.  My pantry had everything I needed for a raw vegan creamy tomato bisque.

Creamy Tomato Bisque

2 medium tomatoes
1 medium carrot
1 celery stalk
1 green onion
1/4 cup cashews
1 medjool date
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 teaspoons miso
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 cup warm water

For garnish:  4 fresh basil leaves

Blend all ingredients, except basil, together in a blender until creamy and warm.  Garnish with basil chiffonade and fresh ground black pepper.

This is warm and comforting and perfect for lunch on a cool Fall day.  It would be great served with flax crackers or garnished with avocado.  I'm kind of experiencing soup lust now, so don't be surprised if you see more of it this week.


Tomato based soups are my favorite.  What kind of soup do you crave when it's cold outside?  Let me know in the comments and have a cozy Sunday!

10 comments:

  1. This looks - and sounds - delicious! Cannot wait to try it out in my mixer. My favorite soup is definitely chili - does that count as soup? I'm going to share my spicy pumpkin chili recipe tomorrow, and it's my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chili too! Pumpkin chili sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup is the best! I love the idea of adding a date for sweetness...I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowzers! your raw creamy tomato bisque looks amazing! there are still some late summer tomatoes at the farmer's market - i'll pick some up this weekend and make it happen! mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my kind of soup. Tomato does bring back memories. I also like to make a raw chunky vegetable soup with whatever I have on hand or a raw version of cream of broccoli: http://rawdorable.blogspot.com/2007/12/rawdorably-raw-cream-of-broccoli-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow it looks so delicious and creamy! Tomato and basil is always a winning combination. Definitely going to have to give this a try! Fall is always a great time for soup lust :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barefoot_and_frolickingOctober 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM

    amazing - this looks soo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I pretty much can't get over how amazing this looks! Not only did I bookmark the recipe, but I added your post to my MoFo Round-Up... hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! And I'm glad you left a comment because now I can follow your awesome blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great soup, I didn't have any miso and I added an avocado. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete