Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lazy Sunday: Vegan Bakery Breakfast, Juice Cart, and A Sunny Walk.

Sundays are lazy days around here, often spent drinking coffee, playing with cats, and watching movies.  We also like to find yummy vegan breakfasts that don't make dirty dishes in our kitchen.  This morning we wandered over to Sweet Pea Bakery .


Sweet Pea is in the vegan mall in our neighborhood.  I know, we're totally spoiled.  Anyways, the bakery is in transition right now between their Sunday brunch buffet (RIP) and a new breakfast menu (see you next week?).   So, we didn't get the biscuits & gravy I was hoping for, but were perfectly content munching on toasted bagels with my favorite bacun scallion schmear.   Hmmm, where did that berry danish come from?

After breakfast and a little more relaxation I decided to partake in an activity I remember from months ago called "walking in sunshine".   For real.  Portland is lit up with sunny blue skies and it's 52 degrees.  Just what I needed to help me feel more alive after the week of the virus. 


I bundled up in sweater and scarf (still feeling a little sicky, I guess) and made my way to one of my favorite juice carts for a shot of wheatgrass and a big juice full of kale, apple, lemon, and ginger.  


Then I slowly made my way back home and sunk into the couch again.  The fresh air and sunshine felt great.  Hopefully by next weekend I'll feel up to taking a jog on one of my favorite hilly trails.  That would have been beautiful today.


17 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... I could have gone for a bagel with schmear this morning! I love sunny Portland days too. If I were a better runner, I would have been out on the streets today, but I am too slow I think :)

    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sun in February?! Lucky you! Glad you got out and enjoyed it.

    That is so sad about the Sweet Pea brunch, do you know why they closed it? Too much work? I hope I can get back there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is really a vegan mall in Portland? Haha That's awesome! I'm assuming you've watched Portlandia?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I'm starting to feel normal again.

    Today was so beautiful! I walked around and soaked up as much as I could. Also, I run slower than I walk, but I enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shocking, but true. A gorgeous February day. I think I read something about how it was hard for Sweet Pea to know how many people would show up for the brunch, so staffing and food prep were probably challenging. But I think they're going to serve breakfast 7 days a week. I can be happy about that. And next time you visit here, we'll have a Sweet Pea date :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's true. The "mini-mall" has a bakery, coffee/cafe, grocery store, clothing store, and tattoo shop, all vegan. And yes to Portlandia, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok here's a stupid question.. Why doesn't it show my picture? How do I get it to show? I've been trying to figure out and it's not a working:/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a really, really lovely day. my boyfriend and I always talk about Sunday brunch but he gets up so much later than I do, I've always eaten by the time he's awake! I also usually take up way too much time reading and writing and before I know it, the day is over without me having left the house on a beautiful day. Next week, that will change, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't show your pic here because I use Disqus for comments. You can sign up for a Disqus account and add a pic, then choose the Disqus option when you leave a comment here. I started using it because it's easy to reply to each comment. It also stores all of the comments you leave on blogs that use Disqus. Hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to be careful of the same thing re: my laptop. Entire days have disappeared.... But today was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the weekend was gorgeous! So warm and lovely! Glad you had a chance to get out and enjoy it plus have some yummy eats and juice. And a vegan mall? Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this sounds like such a lovely sunday nikki! we also lucked out with a gorgeous sunny day here so i was able to squeeze in a snowy run and a skate on the lake :) sadly we have no 'going out' brunch options in town - sweet pea sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This weekend was such a great break from the rain and cold. Portland has so much great vegan stuff. We're really lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Skating on a lake sounds amazing! I got to hike around in the snow while we were in Wisconsin and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm ... bagels, green juice ... oh, and I love the beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of varieties of bakery items in a new coconut flavor,U will get all the bakeries items you want you will get all items in a new coconut flavor.

    ReplyDelete